After an initial attempt to create the site using Drupal, I ended up setting it up in July 2006 as a MediaWiki site, using W3TPL tags and some custom code to manage certain data relationships. This turned out to be fragile, and by July 2020 I completely replaced those functions with Semantic MediaWiki (SMW).
The site uses a custom MediaWiki skin, using an owl photo he sent me and some lettering and shading I did in PaintShop Pro.
The core of the site consists of original responses to science-related articles ("targets"), mostly in academic journals but sometimes in more popular contexts.
- A wiki page is created for each "target" article, using SMW to note information about the article in a way which can be shown elsewhere in different formats as needed.
- A wiki page is create for each "response" article, again using SMW to note key information.
- SMW queries are then used to display:
- a list of responses, by date (most recent first), on the front page
- a list of responses for each target article (most only have one, but some have more), on each target's page
- on each response's page, a summary of the target being responded to and a link back to the target's page
- blog posts, which are similarly indexed using SMW
Pages are normally created using: